© Tom Weatherley

Thanks for visiting the site. Feel free to use, but please include a link back.
My email is on my profile page - I will respond though am sometimes away for a few days.
Comments now possible and welcome - views expressed not my own.
Apologies for the recent run of terrible punning headlines.

Thursday 18 March 2010

Blinded by the Sun / News in Briefs

I was as upset as anyone at the terrible misfortune to befall David Beckham. I struggled for the words to encapsulate my thoughts when I chanced upon a copy of the Sun on the train.

On Page 3 Rosie, from Middlesex, said; “Like Achilles, son of Peleus, king of the Myrmidons, Becks is a dashing warrior.”

Quite!

These wise words reminded me of the wisdom of the ancients used closer to home.

In four full pages of Remembrance Sunday coverage last year, the Folkestone Herald managed to include quotes from Plato (“Only the dead have seen the end of war”) and Mother Teresa (“If we have no peace it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other”), yet none from servicemen taking part in the ceremony.

Surely their reporters would have gone to the event rather than cribbing quotes from Wikipedia?

Still, the KM’s amazing attempt at giving the Leas Lift a brush with ancient glories lives on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment