© Tom Weatherley

Thanks for visiting the site. Feel free to use, but please include a link back.
My email is on my profile page - I will respond though am sometimes away for a few days.
Comments now possible and welcome - views expressed not my own.
Apologies for the recent run of terrible punning headlines.

Monday 5 October 2009

Get in the Road!

Recently there has been much in the letters page of the local press concerned with cyclists on pavements, and cyclists on the Leas. A keen cyclist myself, I agree with many of the points raised in the letters. I am surprised by how many cyclists I see on the pavement. I am surprised at how many cyclists I see bombing down a busy Leas on a nice afternoon. I am less surprised that many of them seem to be teenagers.

Rather than assume it is another example of ‘Broken Britain’ and our ASBO laden ‘yoof’, could it be a failure of education? Like most of my peers, I was given basic cycle safety instruction while at primary school, with someone extolling the virtues of luminous green polystyrene ‘Tuff Tops’ helmets. My secondary school had bike racks and a teacher was present to ensure we had the relevant safety gear before setting off.

It seems this is a thing of the past. Speaking to the Folkestone / Shepway Cycle Forum I was told that despite offers of Sustrans officers to visit schools and give basic cycling proficiency instruction, only 2 schools had expressed any interest and none had been visited.

It seems reasonable to assume that most children have bikes, but with no instruction it seems unlikely that children would want to venture out on the roads. I would not be surprised if many parents advised their children to stick to the pavements and do not encourage them to cycle to school. Only the Academy has suggested cycle routes for pupils to follow. Existing cylce lanes offer little in the way of a transport network. At a time where children are portrayed as piling on the pounds, surely schools would jump at the chance to do something healthy?

Without education of cyclists, it seems likely that cyclists will be sharing the pavement rather than the tarmac for some time to come. Popular opinion will continue to decry the ‘degenerate yoof’ of today rather than think of a solution.

1 comment:

  1. I do feel the need to mention the attitude that motorists have towards cyclists. Having recently started cycling everywhere again I have noticed a marked change when on the road. The pure volume of parked and moving traffic has increased dramatically which can be intimidating especially if you have someone with no patience or respect in a couple of tonnes of metal behind you itching to get past...as you full well know. Society has changed and I believe cycling as a mode of transport has almost died a death (blame kfc for that). The 'yoof' use them mainly for recreation and realistically don't have to be at work in ten minutes so why bother using the road which is dangerous and the people on it tend to no time for cyclists. Therefore education at school seems pointless to me...a shame but until that infrastructure for cyclists is there why bother???...The only way through education is to give cyclists priority in every road going situation and if a motorist does not obey they should be punished by having their car confiscated, blown up and replaced with a bicycle.....I tell you something mate...I reckon it would take approximately 3 weeks before you can't hear a petrol/ diesel engine on the roads of Folkestone!

    ReplyDelete